Today we’re going to talk about Ayurveda, the sister science to yoga. Ayurveda is about understanding your unique constitution (dosha), & using the elements to better understand yourself and the world around you.
In Ayurveda there are 3 elements:
- Kapha – earthy, grounded, nourishing, restful, healers. The early morning part of the day where you maybe feel slow & more still.
- Pitta – fire, motivated, organized, ambitious, action oriented, the doers. The middle of the day where energy is high and so is the sun.
- Vata – air, creative, flexible, floating, the artists & inventors. This is evening energy, think a wild sunset and sparks of creativity.
It’s very easy to get stuck in one of these energies. Globally, most of the world is stuck in pitta energy. We’re fired up, over caffeinated, over scheduled, irritated, angry, & depleted.
This pandemic has moved us back into kapha energy. Grounded (literally) back into our homes; using our hands to cook & garden; doing what nourishes us; being still.
So many of us were burnt out. And in order to get into creativity, into feeling inspired and uplifted, we all must first allow for the kapha, the sacred pause.
Which is why we plan to take the next week mostly off. We want to fully learn the lessons here. Going so deep into stillness & nourishment that the new ideas & creativity come effortlessly.
Technology pulls all of us out of truly replenishing. And while it is most certainly a blessing, it also needs to be balanced with down time & creativity.
So we’re letting our pitta – our action oriented & motivated selves – take a break. We are craving coming back to our sacred pause & nourishing kapha.
We know that we need to refresh, so that we can come back being the best possible healers and space holders for all of you.
We have some amazing ideas about how to move forward through the summer months in ways that feel safe, supported, committed, & fresh. And can’t wait to come back from our mini retreat even clearer on how we want that to look & feel.
Hint: it will include kid & adult yoga in the park, virtual & in person doula support, full & new moon circles, sacred gatherings, and really taking our support options to whole new levels.
If you’re new to Ayurveda, we highly encourage you to learn more! You can google ‘dosha quiz’. Or just start to notice how you’re feeling…
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed with lots of new ideas, then move into your pitta and act on one.
- If you’re feeling burnt out & depleted, angry & controlling, then come back to your kapha and take deep moments of rest & just being.
- If you’re feeling sluggish and stuck, then come back to vata by moving your body in new ways, shake it out, paint a picture, do something totally creative & whimsical.
Our bodies always want to come back to balance. Isn’t it nice to know there are ways to get out of our heads about it & just let our bodies do their thing?
We’ll be in touch soon with our new summer offerings. In the meantime, feel free to email us with any specific questions or concerns!
And let us know! If there’s one thing that would get you feeling really amazing & free right now, what would it be?
Important info for members:
If you are a monthly membership holder, you will be emailed separately with links to various pre-recorded classes to enjoy while we are away!
Kids yoga w Deneen is still happening live!! Tues/Thurs 12-12:45pm